Credit Card Review
In a Nutshell:
Phenomenal choice for balance transfers: only card with 15 month 0% intro APR on balance transfers and purchases with intro NO transfer fee.
$0 introductory balance transfer fee during first 60 days your account is open
0% intro APR on purchases and transfers
Make no mistake, the Chase Slate®, our Editor’s Choice balance transfer card, is all about the balance transfer features. It's the only card we’ve found which offers a very long 0% intro APR period (15 months) without charging any balance transfer fee if the transfer is made in the first 60 days. It’s a specialist, doing what it does (saving cardholders money on balance transfers) very well, but staying in it’s lane and not trying to offer all things to all potential cardholders. As such, it does not offer a significant rewards program, but knocks the ball out of the park as a balance transfer/debt management tool.
Translated into plain English, that means you can get a Chase Slate® without being charged, transfer your current balances from your other card to the Chase Slate® without being charged, and then carry your balance on the Chase Slate® for 15 full months without being charged a single dollar in interest. There is no annual fee either. On average, those who transfer their balances onto the Slate® save hundreds, often thousands, of dollars in interest charges.
The Chase Slate® does have some additional features of note, such as the fact that it has no penalty APR. This means that (after the 15 month 0% intro period is over) the card will not increase the ongoing APR if you are late on a payment, unlike many other cards which are designing to capitalize on lateness by charging huge fees. The card also gives cardholders a free Experian FICO® score in their online credit dashboard (which can also provide explanations of your score, as well as helpful ways to improve your credit going forward).
In summary, The Chase Slate® is a powerful debt management option for those seeking relief from high interest rates. Properly used, the card can enable cardholders to take money they are currently losing on interest charges, and instead apply it to paying off their debt.
- $0 Introductory balance transfer fee for transfers made during the first 60 days of account opening
- Chase Slate named "Best Credit Card for Balance Transfers" four years in a row by Money Magazine
- 0% Introductory APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers
- Monthly FICO® Score and Credit Dashboard for free
- No Penalty APR - Paying late won't raise your interest rate (APR). All other account pricing and terms apply
- $0 Annual Fee
Fees and APR
- No annual fee.
- 0% Intro APR: 0% Introductory APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, then Purchase APR.
- Purchase APR: 15.74%-24.49% Variable
- Balance Transfer Fee: Either $5 or 5% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater.
This content is not provided by Chase. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed here are those of the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by Chase.