- Set up a table in the center of the room as a staging area. Place your boxes and packing materials near the table so they are easily accessible.
- Pick a starting point in the room and begin packing in a clockwise direction.
Packing the boxes
- Put heavier items at the bottom of the box and lighter, more delicate things on top.
- Try to fit items closely together in the box to prevent them from shifting during the move.
- Line your box with soft padding material — crumpled newspaper works well.
- Lay out a piece of bubble wrap or several sheets of clean newspaper. Place your item several inches below one corner and fold it over so the item is covered. Fold the item over so the backside is exposed. Wrap a side corner over, turn it over and wrap the other side corner over. Repeat until the item is adequately protected.
- If you're wrapping dishes, you can stack four to five together, as long as there is bubble wrap between each dish.
- Write a code for what’s inside each box on the box top and on an inventory sheet.