How to Get Free Car Insurance Quotes 2023
A car insurance quote is more than the estimated cost of a policy you’re thinking of buying. It’s also a free tool you can use to get cheap car insurance.
The key is to compare car insurance quotes from several different companies. This makes it easy to see which company is offering you the cheapest premium for the types and amounts of car insurance coverage you need.
How do I get a car insurance quote?
To get an instant car insurance quote, all you need to do is:
- Go to an insurance company’s website.
- Look for a button or field that says something like, “Get a quote.” You might need to go to the car or auto insurance section of some sites to find this.
- After you click on that button, you’ll be asked to share certain details about yourself, your vehicle and the policy you want.
- That’s it for most insurers. Now you get your quote.
You can also get car insurance quotes from insurance comparison sites. On these sites, you share your info once and then receive quotes from multiple companies.
Although getting auto insurance quotes online is fast and easy, you can get them by calling or talking with an agent in person, too.
How do I compare car insurance quotes?
To compare car insurance quotes:
- Get quotes from several car insurance companies.
- Look at the quotes you receive side by side. Make sure they all provide the same coverage types and amounts. If they don’t, correct any that are different.
- Consider the premiums of each quote. Keep in mind that some quotes may have a monthly rate, while others may give you an annual rate.
- Do all of the quotes include one or more discounts? If not, they could make a big difference.
- If all else is the same, the quote with the lowest premium is probably the best one for you.
What do you need to get car insurance quotes?
Car insurance companies ask for certain pieces of personal information before they send you a quote:
- Your name
- Date of birth
- Marital status
- Driver’s license number
- Vehicle identification number of any car you want your policy to cover
They’ll also want to know the names and dates of birth of anyone else in your household.
If you’ve been in any accidents or cited for any driving violations, you’ll have to share those details with an insurance company, too.
You may be able to get a quote without some of this info, but the estimate you receive won’t be accurate until the insurer has all of it.
What factors influence my car insurance quotes?
Companies consider many factors when coming up with your car insurance quote, such as your:
- Driving record
- Insurance claim history
- Car make and model
- ZIP code
- Marital status
You’ll likely get a cheaper quote with a clean driving record than you will if you’ve been in multiple accidents, for example. And if you’re a teen who has just started driving, you’ll get a higher quote than you would if you were 35 and you’ve been driving for years.
Are car insurance quotes free?
Yes, car insurance quotes are free. A reputable company will not charge you for a car insurance quote.
You also aren’t obligated to buy a car insurance policy from a company that sends you a quote.