Homepoint Mortgage Review 2023 (Pending Purchase by The Loan Store)
Homepoint at a glance
Lender rating: 4 out of 5
Minimum credit score: 580 to 620
Minimum down payment: 0% to 3.5%
Available loan products and programs: Conventional, FHA, VA and USDA
Offers all standard loan programs with down payments as low as 0%
Discounted homeowners insurance may be available through partner company Hippo
Helpful mortgage articles on website to better understand fundamentals
No interest rate information published online
No jumbo loan products available
No home equity products available directly from Homepoint
Homepoint is a national mortgage lender and subsidiary of Home Point Capital Inc. The company is based in Ann Arbor, Mich., and offers consumers a network of more than 6,000 mortgage partnerships nationwide. Homepoint was founded in 2015 and does business in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
Homepoint mortgage products
- Loans with no down payment or mortgage insurance requirements for military borrowers
- VA streamline (interest rate reduction refinance loan) program is available
- Both fixed-rate and adjustable-rate options offered
- Minimum 580 score requirement for all programs
Home equity loans
Homepoint does not offer any home equity loan or home equity line of credit products directly to its customers. However, Homepoint-approved mortgage brokers may offer home equity lines of credit (HELOCs) to qualified borrowers. HELOC features include:
- Lines of credit amounts ranging between $20,000 and $400,000
- Repayment periods of five, 10, 15 and 30 years and draw periods of two or five years depending on the repayment period
- Financing of single-family owner-occupied, secondary and investment homes
- USDA loans. Borrowers looking for homes in areas designated as “rural” by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) can get no-down-payment loans. Income limits apply, and borrowers only need a 620 credit score to qualify.
- Fannie Mae RefiNow. The Fannie Mae RefiNow™ program is designed to help low-income borrowers save money on their monthly mortgage payments. Homeowners with a current Fannie Mae mortgage and a 620 credit score can get a fixed-rate mortgage and may even be eligible for a $500 appraisal credit or an appraisal waiver.
- Freddie Mac Refi Possible. Homepoint also offers the Freddie Mac Refi Possible program, which provides the same perks as the RefiNow program to homeowners that currently have a Freddie Mac loan.
Homepoint mortgage rates and fees
Homepoint doesn’t provide information about their mortgage rates or fees on its website. Fixed-rate terms are available between 10 and 30 years, and most of the loan programs have adjustable-rate options as well.
|Mortgage rates published online?|
|Rate information updated daily or weekly?|
|Lender fees disclosed?|
Homepoint mortgage application experience
The “Apply Now” button is featured prominently on the website and takes borrowers to a portal where they can start an online preapproval application. Loan documents can be uploaded through the portal, and the information is added in the same order as a standard uniform residential loan application.
Homepoint offers an eClosing experience that allows borrowers to review and digitally sign most of their loan documents, saving time at the closing table.
Homepoint customer service experience
Homepoint provides support for current and new customers with a short form that can be filled out online or by calling 1-800-686-2404 Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET.
How does Homepoint compare to other lenders?
|Minimum credit score||580 to 620||Not published||620 to 650|
|Minimum down payment||0% to 3.5%||0% to 3.5%||0% to 3.5%|
|Loan products and programs|| |
How we rated Homepoint
LendingTree’s mortgage lender rating is based on a five-point scoring system that factors in several features, including digital application processes, available loan products and the accessibility of product and lending information.
LendingTree’s editorial team calculates each rating based on a review of information available on the lender’s website. Lenders receive a half point on the “offers standard mortgage products” criterion if they offer only two of the three standard loan programs (conventional, FHA and VA). In some cases, additional information was provided by a lender representative.
Homepoints’ scorecard: 4/5
Publishes rates online
Offers standard mortgage products
Includes detailed product info online
Shares resources about mortgage lending
Provides an online application