2023 OppLoans Personal Loan Review
OppLoans are small, personal installment loans with short repayment terms provided by the fintech platform Opportunity Financial (OppFi).
- High APR: OppLoans’s starting and only annual percentage rate (APR) is 160.00%. Finance experts generally consider 36% as the maximum affordable APR.
- Same-day funding: OppLoans can disperse funds the same day you’re approved for a loan.
- No origination fee: Unlike many other lenders, OppLoans doesn’t charge customers an origination fee — a one-time administrative fee typically taken out of your loan amount.
- Small loan amounts: This lender only offers loan amounts up to $4,000, so those looking for large personal loans may need to look at other lenders.
- Short repayment terms: OppLoans customers only have between 9 to 18 months to repay their loans. Comparatively, personal loan lenders typically offer loan terms ranging from 24 to 60 months, though they can stretch longer.
- Credit bureau reporting: OppLoans reports payments to all three credit bureaus, which can help borrowers build credit as they pay off their loan.
- Best for consumers with bad credit: If you have bad credit, you may consider OppLoans as a last resort since they don’t have a minimum credit score requirement. However, be sure to exhaust all other options, including other bad credit loans with lower APRs, to make sure you get the best deal.
OppLoans pros and cons
OppLoans has several positive points in its favor — however, its drawbacks may give many consumers pause.
Reports to all three credit bureaus
Doesn’t charge origination fees
High APR (160.00%)
Small loan amounts (under $4,000)
Short repayment terms (9 to 18 months)
OppLoans customers can get their loan funds the same day they are approved. Borrowers also won’t have to worry about an origination fee coming out of their loan funds. Plus, OppLoans reports payments to all three credit bureaus, which can help increase your credit score as long as you aren’t late with your payments.
However, OppLoans’s starting and only APR is 160.00% — far above the 36% that finance experts recommend as affordable. OppLoans also has short repayment terms: This could make it difficult for some borrowers to meet the minimum monthly payments, since the shorter the term, the higher the minimum payments tend to be. You can use a loan calculator to estimate your monthly payments.
In 2021, OppFi settled a lawsuit with the Office of the Attorney General (AG) for the District of Columbia for over $2 million.
The AG filed suit against OppFi for allegedly “misrepresenting its high interest loans” as a way for consumers to build credit. OppFi charged D.C. borrowers 160.00% APR; in Washington, D.C., the rate cap is 24%.
To get an OppLoans personal loan, you’ll need to be at least 18 years old and meet the following criteria.
|Minimum credit score||No minimum|
|Other requirements|| |
If OppLoans’s loan options won’t work for your borrowing needs, be sure to shop around for a lender that helps you meet your financial goals and can offer you the best-fitting rates, terms and amounts.
How to get a loan with OppLoans
Apply for a loan
To get an OppLoans personal loan, you’ll first need to visit the lender’s website to complete the online application process. You’ll have to provide your personal information like your name, address, contact information, date of birth and Social Security number.
When you apply for a loan, OppLoans will do a credit check and review your credit report — using Clarity Services, a financial services specialty bureau owned by Experian — without any impact to your credit score. This means you can see what kind of rates, terms and amounts you may qualify for.
Verify your information
Before you’re officially approved for a loan, OppLoans may require that you verify your information — particularly your identity, income and employment. During this process, OppLoans may request that you provide the following documentation:
- Social Security card
- Most recent W-2 within last two years with full Social Security number
- Most recent 1099 within last two years with full Social Security number
- State-issued identification
- Driver’s license
- Permanent resident card
- U.S. passport
Close on your loan
OppLoans provides funds the same day you’re approved and signed for your loan. You’ll want to make sure that you keep up with your monthly payments as OppLoans reports to all three credit bureaus. Missing a payment can severely bring down your credit score.
It’s best to avoid lenders with APRs above 36%, but if you’re unable to qualify with more affordable lenders, it may seem tempting. Instead, consider working to boost your odds to qualify for a loan with lower rates. For instance, you can check your credit reports for any errors and make sure you pay all of your bills on time.
How OppLoans compares to other personal loan companies
Even if you believe OppLoans aligns with what you’re looking for in a loan, it never hurts to shop around and compare other lenders. Here’s how OppLoans stacks up against similar lenders.
|LendingTree’s rating||3/5||4/5 (Read review)||4.2/5 (Read review)|
|Minimum credit score||None||Not specified||300|
|APRs||160.00%||18.00% to 35.99%||6.40% to 35.99%|
|Loan amount||$500 to $4,000||$1,500 to $20,000||$1,000 to $50,000|
|Repayment term||9 to 18 months||24 to 60 months||36 and 60 months|
|Origination fee||None||0.00% - 12.00%|
|Funding timeline||Receive funds same day as approval||Receive funds within one business day of approval||Receive funds within one business day of approval|
|Bottom line||OppLoans has high APRs, which may make it difficult for some borrowers to repay their loans. While OppLoans has no origination fees, its repayment terms are much shorter than competitors’.||OneMain Financial has a much lower APR than OppLoans, despite it charging an origination fee. OMF also has much larger loan amounts and flexible repayment terms.||Upstart also has much lower rates than OppLoans, though its lowest rates are reserved for those with excellent credit. Between these lenders, Upstart also offers the largest loan amount and terms.|
How we rated OppLoans
To come up with our star rating for personal loan companies, LendingTree considered 22 data points across three categories:
- Accessibility: We paid attention to whether lenders offered loans to nontraditional borrowers, as well as those without excellent credit scores. We also checked if lenders offered soft credit pulls, and whether they were transparent about eligibility criteria other than credit scores.
- Rates and terms: We wanted to know if lender rates, terms, amounts and fees were not only transparent, but also competitive.
- Repayment experience: We based this category on lenders’ reputations, customer support availability and unique benefits.
The data points reflect every step of the process to shop and apply for, borrow and repay personal loans. A five-star lender, for instance, has flexible eligibility requirements, offers you the chance to prequalify without commitment and supports you in zeroing your balance.
The 22 data points, culled from the lenders themselves, determine the overall rating. We score lenders consistently, sometimes awarding partial points, so that you can make apples-to-apples comparisons when shopping around.
LendingTree isn’t paid for conducting these reviews, and lenders don’t have control over their content. With our reviews and ratings, we aim to give our users the objective and exhaustive information they need to make the best possible decisions.