- October’s best offers for borrowers with the best profiles had an average APR of 3.75% for purchase and 3.70% for refinance conforming 30-year loans. Mortgage rates vary dependent upon parameters including credit score, loan-to-value, income and property type.
- For the average borrower, purchase APRs for conforming 30-yr fixed loans offered on LendingTree’s platform were down 3 bps to 4.31%, the lowest since November 2016. In contrast, the loan note rate of 4.18% was up 7 bps to the highest since July. We prefer to use the APR as lenders often make changes to other fees in response to changing interest rates.
- Consumers with the highest credit scores (760+) saw offered APRs of 4.18% in October, vs 4.44% for consumers with scores of 680-719. The APR spread of 22 bps between these score ranges was 1 bps lower than in September. The spread represents nearly $12,600 in additional costs for borrowers with lower credit scores over 30-years for the average purchase loan amount of $228,730. The additional costs are due to higher interest rates, larger fees or a combination of the two.
- Refinance APRs for conforming 30-yr fixed loans were up 10 bps to 4.26%. The credit score bracket spread widened to 16 from 15 bps, nearly $7,500 in extra costs over the life of the loan for lower credit score borrowers given an average refinance loan of $235,844.
- Average proposed purchase down payments have been rising for 7 months and reached $59,680.
- Average monthly payments were little changed at just over $1,100 for both purchase and refinance. The credit score bucket spread was $241 for purchase and just $77 for refinance.
Purchase APR by Credit Score Range
Purchase Mortgage Offers by Credit Score
Refinance Mortgage Offers by Credit Score
*Some borrowers make a down payment when refinancing to bring their LTV to a targeted value.
About the Report
The LendingTree Mortgage Offers Report contains data from actual loan terms offered to borrowers on LendingTree.com by lenders. We believe it is an important addition to standard industry surveys and reports on mortgage rates. Most quoted industry rates are for a hypothetical borrower with prime credit who makes a 20% down payment. Most borrowers do not fit this profile. Our report includes the average quoted APR by credit score, together with the average down payment and other metrics described below. We stratify by credit score, so borrowers have added information on how their credit profile affects their loan prospects. The report covers conforming 30-yr fixed loans for both purchase and refinance.
- Loan Distribution: The share of loans offered by credit score bucket
- APR: Actual APR offers to borrowers on our platform
- Down Payment: Though analogous to the LTV, we find that borrowers identify more closely with the down payment. Academic studies have also found that the down payment is the primary concern for homebuyers and one of the main impediments to entering the homebuying market.
- LTV: Actual LTV offered to borrowers on our platform
- Loan Amount: The average loan amount borrowers are offered
- Monthly Payment: Another key figure that borrowers have top of mind when shopping for loans