VA Loan Benefits: Housing Grants Assist Disabled Veterans

In addition to VA home loans, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs offers disabled military Servicemembers and Veterans two types of housing grants for acquiring or adapting a home to provide appropriate accommodations for the applicant's disability:

VA Adaptive Housing Grants Available for Home Purchase or Adaptation

Two types of adaptive housing grants are available to eligible Servicemembers and veterans:

The Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant provides funding to assist eligible applicants with service-related disabilities with achieving independent and barrier-free living. SAH grant funds may be used for the following purposes:

  • Construct adaptive housing on land to be acquired
  • Build adaptive housing on land already owned
  • Remodel an existing home to provide necessary accommodations
  • Apply grant funds toward mortgage balance on an existing home acquired without an SAH grant

The maximum SAH grant amount for fiscal year 2013 is $64,960.

The Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant may be used for:

  • Adapting a home that the Veteran or family member already owns in which the Veteran resides
  • Adapting a home that the Veteran or his/her family member intends to purchase in which the Veteran will reside
  • Help the Veteran purchase an already adapted home in which he or she will live.

The maximum amount for SHA grants for fiscal year 2013 is $12,992.

Eligible Veterans may use these grants three times up to their maximum allowable amounts.

Eligible disabilities must be permanent and 100 percent service-related. Examples include but are not limited to the following types of disabilities:

  • Loss of or loss of use of both arms and/or both legs
  • Blindness in both eyes or only light perception
  • Specific severe burns
  • Specific sever respiratory injuries
  • Loss of or loss of use of one lower leg with residuals of organic disease or injury
  • Loss of or loss of use of one arm and one leg
  • Certain severe burns

For disabilities incurred on or after September 11, 2001,the VA states that eligible injuries include the loss of or loss of use of one or more lower extremities so that balance and/or propulsion are affected to the extent that the Veteran cannot walk without the use of braces, canes, crutches or a wheelchair.

Applicants can apply for either of these grants using VA Form 26-4555; completed applications can be submitted online here or the application can be downloaded and mailed or hand delivered to the nearest regional VA home loan center.

Interested in getting a VA loan? Learn more about the VA home loan process and compare lenders with LendingTree.

Get VA Loan offers customized for you today.